At this stage of your training you will notice there is more emphasis placed on the 4 D’s – Duration, Distance, Diversity, Distraction. You will be further encouraged to “proof” your dog’s behaviours, to ensure they are performed reliably and consistently in a variety of settings and circumstances.
Among other things you will –
- Practice and consolidate previously learned behaviours, working off lead at times (within your own and your dog’s comfort levels and ability).
- Extend Sit and Stay, plus Drop and Stay to 5 metres for 2 minutes.
- Incorporate both turns and circles into loose leash walking.
- Ask your dog to sit and stand for handling.
- Hone your Emergency Stop skills.
- Enjoy a street loose leash walk, involving all 4 D’s.
To graduate from Class 4 you will successfully complete the following behaviours –
- Sit and Stand for polite greeting.
- Loose leash walking, incorporating other skills.
- Complete an off leash Stay for 2 mins at a distance of 5 metres.
- Sit and Stand for handling.
- Recall off leash with collar touch.
- Emergency Stop.